Fungi or moulds

Fungi are found in the air in the form of spores and cause allergic reactions. The concentration of spores found in the air depends on ambient humidity, on the area if it is near to the sea or on the season of the year.

Moulds cause allergies in the respiratory system. Individuals allergic to moulds are generally worse with the changing of the season.

In the home, they are present on damp surfaces and usually appear in places such as the bathroom or under the sink. Homes that are damp, dark, infrequently aired and/or ventilated, as well as basements or rooms with filtered air, can have high concentrations of fungal spores.

Humidifiers, poorly maintained air-conditioning equipment, rubbish bins, etc. can also be a source of mould.

To reduce mould in the home:

  • Repair water leaks as these can create dampness, which allows mould to grow.
  • Maintain the humidity level in the house as low as possible, ideally below 50%.
  • Air rooms well.
  • Open the bathroom window after bathing or showering to allow dampness that has formed to disappear easily.
  • Avoid the use of rugs in the bathroom and basements. Remove any rugs with mildew.
  • Dehumidifiers or air-conditioning with the appropriate filter are effective in reducing ambient humidity.
  • Clean mouldy surfaces such as the corners of the shower or under the sink. Regularly use bleach to clean surfaces that get wet frequently. (Bathroom)
  • Avoid cleaning with appliances that use steam.
  • Use fungicidal paints on areas that frequently get damp.
  • Avoid storing clothes or footwear in cupboards or areas with poor ventilation.
  • Do not leave food out of the refrigerator for long periods and take the rubbish out frequently.
  • Do not keep houseplants.

Outside the house:

  • Avoid basements, cellars or grain stores; avoid the handling of grain or remaining in grain or field product stores.
  • Avoid going out to the countryside on damp and rainy days as such conditions promote greater concentrations of spores.